Set in the heart of Yorkshire, the spa town of Harrogate was chosen as the central location for the 2019 UCI Road World Championships as it meets all the criteria needed to host a world-class sporting event.
Harrogate is a natural host town. It is beautiful and ideally positioned - a short trip from Bradford, Leeds and York - and is surrounded by some of Britain’s most beautiful scenery. Harrogate developed as a popular spa resort in the 18th Century when the rich and famous of Georgian society came to enjoy its waters. Since then it has become one of the county’s most vibrant centres with fantastic shopping, leisure and entertainment facilities, and a wide variety of restaurants and cafes.
In 2014 it was chosen as the destination town for the opening stage of the Tour de France and passed that test with flying colours, hosting over 300,000 fans and the city on wheels which is Le Grande Boucle’s logistical core. We have no doubt it will excel in every area once again.
- Check out the extra events taking place. As well as the finish line and Fan Zone there will be host of events taking place throughout the week and before to celebrate the 2019 Championships, find more here
- Follow @visitharrogate on Twitter and Facebook
- Walking Town - everything in Harrogate is walking distance and about 20 minutes away at the most, if you're staying for a couple of days grab a map from the Tourist Information centre to get most from your time
- Relax and Enjoy - Harrogate came to prominence offering relaxation and rejuvenation to the world, with open spaces, beautiful gardens and the original Turkish Baths still in operation, that legacy is alive and well
- Visit Harrogate Turkish Baths and immerse yourself in Britain's most fully restored Victorian Turkish Baths
Harrogate Fact File
- Population: 71,594
- Shire county: North Yorkshire